OUR RESPONSE TO COVID-19
A word from Chief Executive Officer, Katherine Verano:
The unprecedented health crisis caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) reminds us how fortunate we are to be part of a caring community dedicated to the well-being of others.
As an agency that serves the needs of those facing the immediate trauma of domestic and sexual violence, stalking and trafficking, our response must focus on making their safety and security paramount. We must also take steps to protect the well-being of our dedicated staff, volunteers and the communities we serve as we face the threat of COVID-19.
These steps will remain in effect until further notice:
Safe Futures 24 Hour CRISIS Hotline Number 860-701-6001
Safe Connect Statewide Hotline Number 1-888-774-2900
- Our 24/7 confidential crisis hotline will remain fully operational and staffed.
- Our emergency shelter Genesis House will remain open and staffed with health safety measures in place to protect clients who have left abusive relationships, as well as servicing clients in hotels due to the shelter being over capacity.
- All of the other six residential programs are staffed and operational with health safety measures in place
- Counseling services remain open with health safety measures in place. Our New London main office at 16 Jay Street is open. Our Norwich on Main Street is open. We will ask all clients to do a self-assessment screen in our foyer prior to entering counseling offices. All clients are welcome, especially in crisis, and we encourage to engage with our advocates by telephone whenever possible.
- Law Enforcement Advocate available to assist law enforcement with follow up crisis calls and High Risk Lethality Assessment – Cell (860) 303-5098
- Our Court Advocates for New London will continue operations out of the courthouse located at 70 Huntington Street New London, CT in the Family Relations Division of the court.
- Criminal Court Advocate number is 860-941-2376
- Norwich Criminal and Civil Court: Hours of operation are Monday – Friday 9am-5pm. The Norwich court advocates may be reached at 860.889.2271 x5038
- Civil Court Advocate number is 860-941-2015. Civil Restraining Orders may be filed in person or via Electronic Filing of TRO Applications
- We encourage our Direct Services Team to conduct ongoing one-on-one counseling sessions by telephone when possible.
- Our Self Esteem Support groups are being conducted via tele conference. (Contact Safe Futures staff for call in number)
Essentials Donation Center
- Due to COVID-19 our Essential Donation Center will accept donations preferably by appointment.
- The Essentials Donation Center is open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10am – 2pm only.
- We are always in need of new, unopened items such as toiletries and cleaning products (unscented preferred).
- Please make an appointment for donation drop-offs and masks must be worn. For a drop-off appointment Contact: Susan Noyes, Resource Coordinator at email@example.com or call 860.447.0366 extension 221
- Our Direct Service Staff is available to fill the needs of Safe Futures’ clients at all times through our Essentials Donation Center.
How YOU can help!
It remains imperative we meet the immediate needs of our clients experiencing domestic and sexual violence, stalking and trafficking. Inevitably, our ability to hold community events that help us raise the funds and collect donations critical to providing these services has been impacted.
You can continue to support the adults and children we serve during this critical time by doing the following:
- Donating gift cards in small denominations to stores such as Target, Walmart,
CVS & Stop & Shop, and Shop Rite. These gift cards will help clients’ access things they need on a daily basis.
- You can send gift cards to the attention of: Darlene Hilbert, c/o Safe Futures
16 Jay Street New London, CT 06320
- Our many residential families have children at home and we have a continuous need for children activities, such as games, crafts, educational learning materials, and other child related items.
- Please review our Emergency Shelter Amazon Wish List and order regularly needed supplies and necessities which will be delivered directly to Safe Futures.
- Donate to Safe Futures.
- Follow us on Facebook and check our website for updates.
Finally, I would like to take a moment to thank our dedicated staff who continue to work to keep our clients safe and secure during this challenging time.
Wishing everyone continued health and well-being,
Chief Executive Officer